Are Samsung phones exploding AGAIN? Samsung user shares footage of his Galaxy A20e in pieces after it burst into flames just four years after the Note 7 handsets randomly combustedby Stacy Liberatore For Dailymail.com
- A California man claims his Samsung Galaxy A20e randomly exploded
- Kenji Yanase said the screen died and he opened the phone to look at the battery
- The battery then began to spark and flames started bellowing out from it
- Yanase has contacted Samsung and the firm is investigating the incident
Just when Samsung had finally put the exploding Note 7 fiasco behind it, another Galaxy smartphone has instantaneously combusted.
A California man claims his Galaxy A20e began sparking 'like fireworks' and burst into flames.
Kenji Yanase, the owner of the charred smartphone, shared a video of the Samsung handset after it had exploded, which looks eerily familiar to previous videos of the damaged Note 7 handsets shared in 2016.
'The screen died so I opened up the back and started looking at it,' said Yanase, of Montgomery Creek, California.
'I was holding onto it when the battery started sparking, like fireworks or something, with flames.'
Daily Mail has reached out to Samsung for comment and has yet to receive a response.
However, Samsung did release a public statement addressing the incident: 'Samsung stands behind the quality and safety of the Galaxy A series phones in the U.S. We have reached out to Mr. Yanase to retrieve the device and learn more about what happened.'
Yanase explained that while holding his phone the screen went blank, he took the battery out and it began to spark, which turned into flames.
'I got scared so I put it in a pan from the kitchen and threw water from the dog bowl onto it,' he said.
'It didn't stop burning, so I took the phone outside in the pan.' 'It was still flaming and sparking like crazy.'
'It was very scary, my whole house was filled with black smoke and it smelled so toxic.'
'I covered it with a lid because I didn't want to start a wildfire or something...and that finally put it out.
'I live in an area where wildfires are common, a small fire can can end up burning down 1,000 acres or more. It's terrifying.'
Kenji believes the battery is the culprit behind the incident, as he noted the motherboard showed no signs of damage – just the battery.
He contacted Samsung regarding the smartphone, which he said the complaint was taken seriously by the service representative.
But Kenji was so traumatized by the event that he vows to never buy a Samsung phone again.
'I'm never going to have a Samsung again in my life,' Kenji said.
'I lost my family home in a fire when I was a kid, so I have PTSD about that, I check the stove one, two three times before I leave the house, every time.
'I am worried because this is a popular phone and it could hurt a lot of people.'
The Samsung A20e was released in 2019 and has not been previously linked to spontaneous combustion that plagued the Galaxy Note 7 smartphones three years earlier.
On August 2, 2016, Samsung took the stage in New York to unveil its 5.7 inch Galaxy Note 7, a place where the firm also saw an opportunity to take a stab at Apple.
'Want to know what else it comes with', teased Samsung's vice-president of marketing, Justin Denison.
'An audio jack. I'm just saying.'
The dig was at Apple removing the audio jack from its latest iPhone, which was not welcome by consumers.
However, thin a few days of the launch, it appeared Samsung was eating their own words after reports surfaced that the Note 7 was bursting into flames.
It was found that the faulty batteries from Samsung SDI were not the correct size for the device, which caused the overheating.
Issues were also found to occur with Note 7 smartphones carrying batteries made by ATL, which focuses on a manufacturing issue sparked by 'the quick ramp-up in production of replacement phones.
Just a month after the launch, Koh held a press conference in Seoul, South Korea where he announced the recall of 2.5 million Galaxy Note 7 devices that would eventually be replaced with a new and safe Note 7.
From the Note 7 fiasco, Samsung lost $26 billion in value in the stock market.
GIRL, 13, SUFFERS MINOR BURN FROM NOTE 7 REPLACEMENT
A Minnesota father says his daughter suffered a minor burn to her thumb when her replacement Samsung smartphone melted in her hand last week.
Andrew Zuis of Farmington, Minn., said his daughter, Abby, was holding the Galaxy Note 7 in her left hand Friday when it melted. Zuis saidthat the family had acquired the new phone on the day the replacement phones were released. There had been no problem with the original phone, he said.
'It's very fortunate Abby was not injured and was holding the phone,' Zuis said. 'If it was in her pocket, I think it would have been a whole different situation. I'm just very disappointed in Samsung and their product.'
Zuis provided KSTP-TV with receipts showing that the family bought a Galaxy Note 7 in August and then exchanged it Sept. 21 after Samsung announced the recall.
'She's done with Note 7s right now,' Zuis said of his daughter.
A Samsung representative told KSTP that an investigation is underway.
'We want to reassure our customers that we take every report seriously and we are engaged with the Zuis family to ensure we are doing everything we can for them and their daughter,' the representative said in a statement.