Trump cuts off World Health Organization over China coronavirus ‘coverup’by Ebony Bowden
WASHINGTON — President Trump on Friday announced he is suspending the United States’ relationship with the World Health Organization — accusing the global body of covering up the coronavirus crisis with China.
At a press conference in the White House’s Rose Garden, Trump accused the United Nations organization of being under the control of the Communist nation and said it failed to provide transparency over the origins of the COVID-19 outbreak.
“China has total control over the World Health Organization,” Trump said, noting that the US contributed $450 million to the WHO each year compared to China’s $40 million.
“We have detailed reforms that it must make and engaged with them directly, but they have refused to act,” he continued.
“Because they have failed to make the requested and greatly needed reforms, we will today be terminating our relationship with the World Health Organization and redirecting those funds to other worldwide and deserving urgent global public health needs.”
The president last month announced he was temporarily suspending US payments to the WHO pending a review, accusing it of “severely mismanaging and covering up the spread of the coronavirus.”
The US is by far the largest contributor to the public health body, with WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus saying the decision would impact vulnerable people around the world.
“We regret the decision of the President of the United States to order a hold in funding to the WHO,” Tedros said.
“With the support of the people and government of the US, WHO works to improve the health of many of the world’s poorest and most vulnerable people.”
Trump also blasted China for “ripping off” the United States and blamed previous presidents for letting it happen.
“China raided our factories, off-shored our jobs, gutted our industries, stole our intellectual property and violated their commitments under the World Trade Organization.”