De Goey contrite, Treloar to miss Tigers clash: Buckleyby Anthony Colangelo
Jordan De Goey is contrite and has taken ownership for alleged driving charges committed a year ago, Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley says, with the coach also confirming Adam Treloar would miss the club's round two clash with Richmond.
Buckley would not say if De Goey was sanctioned by the club at the time, but said the star forward would go through the court process and was in good shape heading into the Pies' clash with the Tigers on June 11.
De Goey is scheduled to face court on Wednesday for two charges related to driving indiscretions.
It is expected the mention hearing will be adjourned to a later date because of a backlog in the courts caused by coronavirus.
"It is something from nearly 12 months ago, and Jordy will go through that as he is being asked to. He has come back in great shape," Buckley said.
"He has made a few little blues and slip ups over the time so I don’t think he’s Robinson Crusoe there, we’ve all led less than perfect lives … but not all of us have it splashed on the front page.
"He put his hand up, he has taken ownership for it, he’s paid the price for doing the wrong thing at the time and this is now in the hands of the court and Jordan will go through the process and is contrite."
Asked for more detail on the matter Buckley joked: “I can confirm his dog wasn’t driving so we can put that one to rest”. Buckley was referencing the 2017 incident where De Goey said he was injured by his dog. The injury was later revealed to have been caused in a fight.
Meanwhile star midfielder Treloar, who missed round one with a hamstring injury, will miss round two with a minor calf strain. He has not trained since injuring it on the first day back at training last week.
"'Ads' came back in and had done a fair block of work. He’d handled the last couple of months really well," Buckley said.
"He was really early in the session on the first day back, just felt a bit tight in one of his calves. So he’s only a couple of K [kilometres] into the session so it wasn’t overload as such. His intensity was relatively good."
Buckley said Brody Mihocek will train fully on Friday after foot soreness earlier in the week and did not indicate he was in doubt for round two. Travis Varcoe and Lynden Dunn will also rejoin full training after injuries.
Collingwood's two Irish players Anton Tohill and Mark Keane will remain in 14-day quarantine until June 6 having just returned from Ireland, while Tom Langdon's indefinite break because of a knee injury suffered in round nine, last year, continues.
"He actually had one of his better sessions returning to the club. It’s no different, there’s still steps he needs to take to find out whether he can get back to football readiness."
Langdon and the club are still trying to work out the best way to build his knee up to playing strength, Buckley added.
Buckley said ideally clubs would have more than two weeks of contact training to prepare for a return to play, but that he understood that timeframe related to difficulties around resuming the season.
"Across the industry we will see players injured. But we see it all the time," he said.
"That happens in the normal course of events. Whether it is over and above what would be a normal rate we won’t really know."