Police Scotland officers ‘cruelly mocked’ dying prisoner as he cried ‘I’m gonnae die’ and begged for help


CRUEL cops laughed at a prisoner as he writhed in agony and screamed "I'm just gonnae die" hours before falling dead.

Alan Hay, 49, was left to lick pain medicine from a plastic mattress and vomiting blood during his ordeal in a Dumfries police cell.
Alan Hay was left in agony as officers laughed at Dumfries Police StationCredit: Google Maps

A sheriff has now blasted the police officers who "mocked" the petty criminal, arrested for a disturbance, after CCTV footage showed him begging for help.

The fatal accident inquiry (FAI) into Alan's death revealed he collapsed and died within six hours of leaving Dumfries - just an hour after arriving by transfer at Barlinnie nick in Glasgow.

In a damning ruling after the FAI, Sheriff Linda Ruxton said the cops were “derogatory, mocking, offensive and insulting” and could have spared Alan “a great deal of suffering” with appropriate hospital care.

Alan was nicked at 12.45pm on August 1, 2016 after a disturbance in Dalbeattie, Dumfriesshire.

After arriving in custody, he complained of “agonising” soreness in his liver and kidneys.

But officers proceeded to call him an “a**e”, “f***y”, “f***ing d*ck” and “complete prat” - with one sergeant, Carolyne Crozier, even laughing at CCTV of him curled up in pain and joking “look, he’s not well.”
Police Custody and Security Officer Bryan Sinclair laughed when Alan soiled himselfCredit: Facebook

Sheriff Ruxton said there was an “insidious atmosphere of disbelief and doubt” in the station because Alan was an alcoholic and drug user, the Daily Record reports.

She described cell CCTV footage as "harrowing" after the 49-year-old could be seen clutching his stomach, crying and puking.

But he is only taken to hospital after blood is found in his vomit.

At Dumfries and Galloway Royal Infirmary, a doctor diagnosed him with inflammation of the stomach lining and gave him an acid suppressant and morphine.
PCSO Iain McCartney left Gaviscon in Alan's cell which he couldn't reach and licked off mattressCredit: Facebook

Three hours later, back in custody, another doctor is called and he is given painkillers for his agonising stomach pains.

Overnight, he is seen dripping with sweat and clutching his stomach.

Police Custody and Security Officer (PCSO), Bryan Sinclair even demanded that Alan struggle to the door hatch for his medication.

His colleague, PCSO Iain McCartney, left Gaviscon in Alan’s cell - which Alan was seen “using his hands to scoop up and put in his mouth and licking the mattress” because he couldn't stand.

The pair, described by the sheriff as "unsympathetic and dismissive", later laughed because Alan had “s**t himself” when he was due to be transferred the next day.

In a risk assessment for Alan's transfer to Dumfries Sheriff Court and Barlinnie cops described him as “feeling good”and a potentially violent security risk.

But a G4S officer on the transfer said he was actually "done in", like "a 95-year-old man".

On arrival at Barlinnie, Alan collapsed and died despite nurses’ attempts to save him.
Alan's family lawyer Aamer Anwar is writing to police chiefs about the caseCredit: PA:Press Association

Doctors ruled he had died from stomach lining inflammation caused by a perforated ulcer, which was aggravated by alcohol abuse.

Sheriff Ruxton said the severity of his illness made survival unlikely, but earlier help could have lessened his suffering considerably.

Alan’s devastated uncle Brian Corrigan added: “Anyone who watched that CCTV footage would agree that no human being should have been left to suffer the way Alan did.

“The lack of compassion and professionalism from some of the officers was cruel and unacceptable.

"Nothing will bring Alan back, but all we want now is for lessons to be learned so no one is allowed to suffer as he did again.”

Aamer Anwar, lawyer for Alan’s family, will write to Police Scotland Chief Constable Iain Livingstone to request an investigation of the officers criticised.

Police Scotland Assistant Chief Constable Kenny Macdonald said: “The high standards of policing we strive for on a daily basis were not fully met on this occasion, and for that we apologise.

“We have already addressed a number of concerns in relation to this matter, including the introduction of NHS nurses alongside staff in many custody suites.

“An extensive review was carried out following Mr Hay’s death, and recommendations relating to the frequency of cell checks, logging full details of prisoner observations, and ensuring detailed supervisory handovers are carried out have been reinforced to custody staff.

“Although the sheriff concluded that nothing could have been done to prevent Mr Hay’s death, we will reflect on her comments for any further learning which could improve how we serve the public.”